Friday, February 24, 2006

Boys will be boys will be boys

I think what I'm loving most about grad school this semester is that I spend a lot of time just reading amazing books. And I don't have to feel guilty about the hours spent curled on my couch, book propped up against my knees, peppermint tea in one hand and a pencil (to underline my favorite bits -- yeah, I'm that kind of reader!) in the other. I'm actually required to do this!

And when you're reading this much, it's inevitable that things catch your eye. Some of them actually make you laugh out loud. For instance, this quote from a ten-year-old boy:

"I have a lot of girlfriends, about six or so," Japeth said, turning contemplative. "I don't exactly remember their names, though."
(From The American Male at Age Ten, Susan Orlean)

And I'm thinking to myself, Japeth, you're already a man! Kids do say the darndest things..

According to Orlean's article, psychologists say that 10 is around the age "when guys get screwed up about girls."

Hah. What were you like at age 10?

3 Comments:

At 12:15 PM, Blogger rai.karan said...

10... yeh... the cross over period when you were just allowed to start saying that girls were ok. and yes.. was already screwed about them. took 2 years for the heartbreak to start tho.

 
At 8:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

=))
you are funny! was going thru' all ur posts - loved them all :)

at 10 was living at papa's college campus - had lotsa girls on campus - very frndly since all prof. dads were collegues in college. but then just frnds.
evening plays, going schools, silly pranks, quarrelling, etc.

never got screwed abt girls at 10. I guess USA has a more open society with media and TV; with lotsa 'wrong' inputs abt girls sent to guys at 10!

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Scatterbrained said...

Rhea...thing about your blogs...they are so engaging..

Let me turn back the clock some 14 years...I used to look like a Neanderthal man..Guess what, there was this girl who used to stay in our block...18-20 yrs (educated guess)she would have been at that time..I used to call her 'Didi'(in Hindi it means elder sister)but she had other ideas...
Me getting screwed up about girls at 10...well the intent was never there but the atmosphere was surely up for it!

Vinayakan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home