Friday, June 30, 2006

One of those days...

Ever have those days when everything seems to be good and going right? Today was one of those days -- much needed, seeing as I've been in a bit of a rut lately. And it made me wonder how much of our days are influenced by our own outlook. When you're in a top-of-the-world mood, do people sense that and react in a particularly positive way?

It all began with the conversation I had with one of my oldest and closest friends earlier today. She took the crappy stuff, knew what to say, and then got me excited about the parts of my life that are going great. Perspective is such a wonderful thing -- and you usually get it from the people who know you best. After that, I was in this happy, floaty place -- and people, random strangers, seemed to be playing off it.

For instance, there was the guy at the store (I won't say where so as not to get him in trouble) who decided that a student shouldn't have to pay so much for stuff that is education-related and so he's knocking off nearly $200 by using his discount. For no reason except that he felt bad charging me so much. I didn't know that this kind of thing ever happened in New York. It means I'll have to wait on my merchandise for a couple extra days, but hey, altruism can't be entirely perfect!

And the rest of the day... I can't quite put it in concrete terms, but there was an extra-friendliness to all my interactions today. A lot of smiles and jokes and politeness. And there was the Italian maitre d' who kept trying to get me to go into his restaurant (apparently I was wearing Italy's colors -- and they just steam-rolled the Ukraine). And there were phone calls.

Whatever it was, it was nice. Days like this don't come around often -- and perhaps they wouldn't be appreciated if they did -- so I'm just high on the fact that it was "one of those days."

2 Comments:

At 2:17 PM, Blogger sinusoidally said...

Maybe you need to rub off some of that having a good day charmn on my head or something. Maybe next time when I see you...:-)

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger Scatterbrained said...

Rhea..you are brilliant as usual is what comes to my mind. I am keying this in after one of those regular drinking binges I have after every 15-20 days..Badly needed it after a really hectic week..I had a fairly decent day myself...seven year old long lost flame marked me a mail after reading my blog somewhere...my close friend has got a new car..And you have keyed in a lovely blog!

Let the good times roll..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home