Sunday, April 16, 2006

Ah Brown..

Have had a very Brown weekend... it's nice to know that, deep down, none of us has changed a whole lot. It's easy to revert to being "so Buxton" again. So Buxton, so Brown, so... us. The comfort zone returns, eventhough I haven't seen some people in a long long time.

My flakiness returned in full force tonight too. I'm telling you, it's all their fault -- my friends! (Yeah, Nans, wipe that innocent look off your face!) So, here's the embarassing Rhea story for the night. We were standing around, waiting for a table at a Peruvian restaurant on the upper eastside when this fancy Mercedes convertible pulls up. The guy driving it was the most non-descript man ever -- oldish, short, balding, bad fashion sense. And the girl was young, Asian, pretty, well-dressed and tall. We looked at each other and reached a conclusion quickly: it's got to be about the car! (what can I say, we get bitchy around each other!).

This is all fine until we wander about two feet away and start talking about this other guy we knew at Brown, trying to describe him to the one non-Brownie. Suddenly, I'm inspired by an illustrative description and, pointing to the Mercedes, cut in loudly with: "He's like that guy, only without the Merc!" I see Jaewoo's expression and know, instinctively, that Merc Guy is standing right behind me.

I thought I was going to die! The only saving grace is that Merc Guy and his girlfriend were just picking up food and left about 3 minutes later. But not before he shot me the dirtiest look. Ouch! I did feel bad though. Especially because I think we were right on the money (literally) about why that girl would even date him (trust me, he didn't look like he had personality either). And it can't be nice to have uncomfortable truths pointed out by strangers.

Yeah, Brown reunions bring out the bitch in me. Most of the rest of the time I'm really nice. Really.

1 Comments:

At 3:17 PM, Blogger Scatterbrained said...

Okay..It is kinda typical...We have this car pool thing that we have worked out(to counter rising fuel prices of course!)

On our way to work, my colleague and I, our favourite time pass is looking at other fancy cars on the roads in Delhi. 9 out of 10 times she mentions "car is nice, but the guy who is driving it, is not"...I love cars so I do not care a look for the driver, I just look at the car and say "Oh I missed the guy on the steering wheel". Net net, New York or New Delhi, Analyst or Journalist, young ladies just love to pass their critical reviews about the guy on the steering wheel...no matter how fancy the car is! On the brighter side of things, I do not have a fancy car and I being a staunch optimist, I hope women spare a look for me!

Rhea-I will shop for armour to field your brickbats..:-)

Vinayakan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home