Sunday, July 09, 2006

Grace... and disgrace

There's a lot to be said about grace in sports. I've been pretty impressed through the World Cup. While there have been several little skirmishes, nothing utterly unpleasant happened -- until today. What was Zidane thinking??

It's so unbelievably disappointing. I've never liked Les Bleus, but Zidane was different... had so much respect for him. And I can't imagine what made him end his amazing career in such a disgraceful way. Honestly, what could Materazzi have possibly said that warranted that viscious headbutt? And no matter what he said, Zidane should know better than to lose his cool like that.

He showed grace in so many other situations this World Cup -- especially with Figo during the Portugal match (I was so disappointed they lost, but couldn't hate Zidane because I thought he was incredibly sportsman-like). So I don't get it. What happened to the grace?

After all, it is just a game. An amazing, passionate, all-consuming game. But still, just a game.

4 Comments:

At 5:03 PM, Blogger Scatterbrained said...

Zidane probably was thinking, I have not headed the ball for most part of this game, so let me head a player instead....

Disgraceful maybe, shocking it definitely was.. My uncle is sobbing in France, why my uncle the entire country and the global footbal fraternity had so much respect for him, he may not still have lost all of that *respect* but I am confident given a chance to relive that moment in his career he would live it in a different way!

Vinayakan

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Smith said...

Hello Princess! good to run into you in blogland.

 
At 11:00 PM, Blogger rhea said...

hey you.. even if i hadn't just got your email, i'd have known it was you. just from "princess" :) it's nice to hear it again!

 
At 11:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might like to take a look at an interesting article on the subject in The Times of India (edit page, Sat. 15 July 06) by Ronojoy Sen, headlined "Eye for an Eye."

I'm sure I don't have to tell you who I am!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home