Friday, July 21, 2006

Prada and Gucci and Choos....oh my!

You know that thing people often say about the business world -- that everyone notices shoes and bags? I used to think it was a bunch of superficial crock and that while there would always be the brand-conscious who raise their eyebrows at anything less than Manolos (Devil Wears Prada, anyone?), most people didn't focus on your ability to accessorize. Well, I think I overestimated there. Because...ummm... it turns out, that's the first thing even I notice.

I was at a conference this week of minority women who hold senior positions in Corporate America. Walking around the reception area, I could hardly get my eyes to move beyond their feet and hands -- Vuitton, Chanel, Fendi, D&G, Prada, Gucci, Armani, Hermes... name a designer and he/she was represented in full force. Bags and shoes. I didn't even notice the suits.

That's not to say everyone always judges you on brand. I'd assume that most employers would know that a young 20-something just beginning a career couldn't afford to arrive at an interview with an Hermes bag (that takes 6 months to get) hanging off her arm. It's just about presentation -- nice shoes and a nice bag, label or not -- just no scuffs.

I'm glad I'm not the sort of person who needs $700 shoes. But, man, is it fun to watch them walking around!

6 Comments:

At 6:58 AM, Blogger Scatterbrained said...

Talking about brands, I just read a book, 'Career Warfare':10 Rules for Building a Successful Personal brand and Fighting to Keep It by D'Alessandro...I would say this book is brilliant..especially for young adults at the begining of their career..

I might be going on a different context here but if that helps any of my fellow bloggers...so be it.

Vinayakan

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger ~*sim*~ said...

if this is the same conference i was at, then i gotta say you have a much better eye for detail than i do! (or maybe it was that i couldn't take notice because i was blinded by all the gold and chamak...)

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger rhea said...

sim: no, not that conference. another one.. my life has just been a whirl of conferences and networking. blech. tired.

vinayakan: thanks for the recommendation.

 
At 12:46 AM, Blogger Scatterbrained said...

Hey, What is it with the power cut situation in New York? Is it a crisis or is it kind of manageable?

Vinayakan

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger rhea said...

well, it seems kind of under control -- but then again, it's easy for me to say that because i live in manhattan and there was no crisis here. power is still out in parts of queens. so, although it's not a major crisis, i'm sure it's inconveniencing lots of people -- especially when you take into consideration how dependent on electricity we are. can't even keep food in the fridge with no power.

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger sinusoidally said...

I don't remember when was the last time I spent a decent amount on shoes and bags...I just live by in sad monotone kind of a way...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home