Thursday, May 04, 2006

Bright lights, big city..

Yesterday was my first day at work. It was good. The work content has potential. And everyone I met at the office seemed professional and chill at the same time. Reminded me a bit of when I worked at Verve. Dynamic, yet not intimidating -- I mean, it'll take a little while to settle in, but once I do, I think it could be great.

But... and I'm going to be such a wide-eyed little girl here... the moment that struck me most was when a colleague and I went down to get lunch. The office is right by Grand Central and so the area is uberNewYork. Busy busy busy. People with things to do, places to be. Beautiful people in immaculate clothes and trendy shoes. The hot lattes, the constant cellphone conversations, the cigarettes smoked quickly as they charge down the avenue. Being in the midst of it, one among the swarming masses, it was exhilarating. I know, it seems so country-girl-in-the-big-city, which I'm not. But I'm not sure how else to explain it. It's like having your finger on the pulse of some large, exciting, dangerous animal.

I think it's a matter of being part of what makes the City tick. And as a student, you're still in a bit of a bubble, a little removed. Now... I actually feel like a New Yorker.

6 Comments:

At 4:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

are you going to namedrop and tell us where "work" is?

 
At 1:21 AM, Blogger rhea said...

hmmm.. i don't know. are you going to namedrop and tell us who you are?

 
At 1:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

why, thayer/cushing (aka "the streets") of course!

 
At 6:16 PM, Blogger rhea said...

ok, clearly i'm never going to live down that infamous night! :)
but, jo, i've moved on up -- i'm more of a park avenue girl now.
question: when it's an avenue, is it still "the streets"??

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger ~*sim*~ said...

hey rhea... been reading your blog of late, got here from karan's; thought i'd post and say hello... although being a print-media ho, i'm *really* un-lurking because i'm curious to know where you work, too! :)
ciao
sim

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger rhea said...

sim: you're welcome to 'unlurk' as much as you want!
trust you got my email?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home