Monday, May 01, 2006

For a change...

Normally, when guys catcall or make suggestive comments on the street, I keep walking and ignore them. The comments -- and the guy's attitude -- are usually either sleazy, aggressive or pathetic. But today I realized that, on some rare occassions, a random street comment can make you smile. Was on my way to the hair salon and three guys were loitering on the street. As I walked by, one of them said, "You're looking really beautiful today, Miss." There was something about his tone (polite), his manner (unaggressive) and the fact that he called me "Miss" -- I paused for half a second, looked at him and said thank you. He replied, you're welcome. And that was it. No sleaze, no moves, no nothing. Just a genuine comment of appreciation. And, for once, it made me feel good. And yes, I smiled.

(Total contrast to later on in the evening when some guys kept getting in our way and trying to get us to smile at them. Was way too intrusive and there was too much inuendo)

Anyway, was on my way to the hair salon, like I said. And today, I was interested in a change of some sort. Nothing terribly drastic like cutting it all off -- I'm just not that kind of person. But I felt like change was important. And so... baby steps... I got bangs. Not all the way across, but the kind that are on one side -- he used a picture of Charlize Theron to model my hair! I like it (of course it's left to be seen how the layers and everything work once I try and blowdry it myself). I'm sure mum's first comment would be that my hair is constantly in my eye. Which it is. But I'm kinda diggin' it so far..

3 Comments:

At 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A trip to a hair salon can change your life! That was the difference in the movie Sabrina. She changes so much that men are getting in car accidents trying to check her out!

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger rhea said...

it's definitely made a difference in some inexplicable way..
i don't know that there are any crashing cars tho -- does a guy-on-a-bike swerving into the curb count? :)

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Scatterbrained said...

The other day, I met one of my long lost friend at AXP...she had changed quite a bit from our high school days and she was looking cute....She had her hair done at Habis's...Both of us were pretty excited about meeting each other after a long time and largely we were exchanging nice somethings..
I remarked "Nice outfit and a great hairdo"...for which she was like "I spent 2000 bucks on it"...Voila I have never dared even one tenth of the 'buck' distance...

So I am kinda ready to belive if the stylist is 'I am Edward Scissor hands--reincarnation'...it can well turn out to be a life changing experience..

Rhea, for sure count in the bike swerving into the curb...bike for today...Let me wish a car crashing(minor damage not fatal) for you soon :-b..

Vinayakan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home