Friday, May 12, 2006

Musings

The sky is turning a dark threatening grey. It's supposed to rain most of this next week. I've never been a rain-loving kinda gal. Which is interesting given that Bombay is in my blood.

But it was sunny and warm during the day, so I walked around a bit, very much in my head most of the time. Random things kept occuring to me.

For instance, I was going to be a total girl and go shoe shopping. Was meandering through Union Square considering heading toward Nine West. Then I saw Sephora and thought, why not get perfume and cement the girle girl feeling. But I got sidetracked by Barnes and Noble en route. Spent much time wandering through aisles and aisles of books, totally lost in that world. Emerged armed with some purchases -- I can't go into a bookstore without getting something -- and realized I'm happier having bought books than I would have been with shoes. Who'd have thunk it?

Passed an old man handing out flyers for a beauty salon and almost walked by without even looking at him and then felt a little bad. What a job for someone that age. It doesn't bother me to brush past young people standing in the street doing this all day. But somehow, with elderly people.. I feel obligated to take the ad because it makes me sad that they're spending these years of their lives doing something so... anonymous. People walking by all day, not even noticing they exist. Ugh.

Also feeling a bit antagonistic toward dairy products today. I know, it's really random -- and it's partly my own fault. I went to the grocery store twice yesterday and forgot, both times, to buy more milk. So, this morning, I discovered that the little bit of milk in the carton in my fridge had gone lumpy (so gross!). The sell-by date was May 11. Today is the 12th. Seriously, dairy products are so fragile. You have to be so vigilant or else they go lumpy, grow fungus or undergo some other equally distasteful transformation. Had to have black coffee instead of masala chai.

Went to the grocery store twice yesterday to buy ingredients for dinner because my brother and I were entertaining at my place. Turns out my baby bro is even more accomplished than previously thought -- the boy can cook now, too. If you looked up "all-rounder" in the dictionary, there'd be a picture of him. Pre-med, manages a bartending agency, can fly planes, plays sports, can act, and is funny and smart and charming. But most importantly, he's a good kid. Down-to-earth and caring. Growing up with an example like this of what guys can be like... must be why I still believe.

1 Comments:

At 7:46 PM, Blogger ~*sim*~ said...

your bro sounds a bit like mine ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home