Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Coping

Death

Death is nothing at all.
I have only slipped away into the next room.
I am I, and you are you.
Whatever we were to each other, that we still are.
Call me by my old familiar name,
speak to me in the easy way which you always used.
Put no difference in your tone,
wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow.
Laugh as we always laughed
at the little jokes we enjoyed together.
Let my name be ever the household word that it always was,
let it be spoken without effort,
without the trace of a shadow on it.
Life means all that it ever meant.
It is the same as it ever was;
there is unbroken continuity.
Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight?
I am waiting for you, for an interval,
somewhere very near, just round the corner.

- Henry Scott Holland

An old friend sent me this, saying it helped her through a difficult time. The more I read it, the more sense it makes to me.. That thing about life being the same as it ever was, an "unbroken continuity" -- am realizing how true that is. Think I was almost resentful about it initially. But how can you resent an inescapable truth? Life continues as it always did. Only I have changed in an imperceptable way.

10 Comments:

At 3:05 PM, Blogger Ravee said...

Trying to come up with words to express sympathy always seems like such an empty and futile exercise. In this, poets have all other writers beat.

Please know we are thinking of you everyday and are holding only thoughts of comfort for you.

Love and Hugs

Ravee

 
At 3:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not sure what went wrong.However I do know time heals everything!!! So hold on and let time do its wonders.

Hugs!!!

 
At 4:52 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, sometimes I find it scary how life goes on as if nothing's different - "an unbroken continuity" - and all that is churning and changing is inside you. How can there be such a disconnect? The funny thing is, when the dust settles, it might even be hard to identify what has changed inside because it's just been absorbed. Like every single other experience in life that makes us who we are today.

 
At 12:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rhea, if you're single, I'd like to date you. If you're interested, let me know, and I'll stop calling myself "anonymous". And perhaps, we can talk and take things from there.

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger ~*sim*~ said...

to whoever anonymous is: get in line.

that's quite something, rhe! i can't imagine that if you take this person up on his offer you will blog about it. sad, because that would make for a great blog post!

[ps, i'd want to date you too, except i don't think either of us swings that way :P]

 
At 10:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sim, Rhea appears to be comatose. If you're single and willing, may we date?

 
At 12:11 AM, Blogger rhea said...

sim: thank you, i'm flattered :) sometimes i think it's a pity one doesn't swing that way.. but, sigh, what to do? anyway, it seems you've now got a suitor on my page.

anonymous: i can think of about 10 good reasons why i shouldn't respond to your "offer" -- the single most important one being that you thought it appropriate to "ask me out" on a post about death. also, i'd be a lot more inclined to even consider it if you weren't hiding behind anonymity. why should i show my hand before you show your's? anyway, i see you've moved on. good luck.

 
At 2:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Rhea. I hide behind anonymity because I have a knack for prognosticating things such as women blatantly rejecting me. And I'd rather not be me when I'm dealing with rejection; anonymous handles rejection with more grace. So, what are the other 8 reasons?

I was using the comments section of your blog as a mere communication tool. The death post was your latest, so the comment in its comment section. My interest in you wasn't intended to trivialize your sorrow. Apologies.

Flattering it may be, but I find Sim's response to my comment on a post about death rather callous, actually. Sim: shame on you. Forget I ever asked you out on a date.

 
At 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rhea, may I have your e-mail address, so I can stop communicating with you on this post?

 
At 5:23 AM, Blogger Scatterbrained said...

Hi Rhea, been a while since you scratched the blogosphere! I am a faceless nobody to you but just want to express my solidarity.

Rhea - I am a guy and I can tell you this much that the 'anonymous'is honest, though he may have ruffled a few feathers. I am sure you are a lot smarter and you can see through it as well.

Sim - I really do not intend to step on your toe by my above lines. Just that, I don't want anyone to be flustered, unhappy, angry and the like.

VA

 

Post a Comment

<< Home