Sunday, March 11, 2007

Simply Red, anyone?

I don't know when I last spent time thinking about Simply Red. I don't make a habit of thinking about them since there's usually very little to say. But my quest to find "that one good song by that band with the word 'red' in it" began last night at the cute French wine bar on 51st where we were continuing the tradition of champagne with some of the best Kir Royales I've ever had. Anyway, so I thought it was going to be murder to find a song I don't remember the name of by a band I don't remember the name of with lyrics I can't remember from a year I can't remember. But Google's pretty amazing that way. It took just a handful of experimental searches to pull up Simply Red, which sounded right, and then another quick search of Wikipedia (if it's in Wikipedia it must be true) to find "Sunrise." FYI, it was a "hit single" in 2003. So, I guess that's when I last thought about Simply Red.

Good song, though. Very blast from the past-ish. Reminded me of a particular time in my life (which songs tend to do). I think it was being back home after college and reinventing life there with all the changes that had occurred since I'd left. Though, it's quite amazing how much stays the same, too.

Anyway, have spent the better part of a lazy Sunday afternoon playing every "favorite" song (ooh, remember "Return of the Mack"?) from every era I can think of (current favorite is still "Promiscuous") All rather reminscent of those (not-sooo-long-ago) days of hairbrush-mike in hand, hair swinging, dancing around the room. I'm a better dancer now, though. And I've ditched the hairbrush.

Which reminds me of this article I read last week about how scientists think that dancing might be a method of sexual selection. The better the dancer, the more attractive to potential mates -- something about being indicative of good genes. Hmmm... and to think my dad complained that I spent most of my time in college dancing instead of studying. Apparently I knew what was good for me!

7 Comments:

At 12:58 AM, Blogger ~*sim*~ said...

scientists think that dancing might be a method of sexual selection

this is why i spend my sunday evenings at salsa in bandra ;-)


ps, did you go to le bateau??? i miss that place!

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Alternate Vision said...

"return of the mack" is an all time favorite. The Africans and the Latin Americans have for long used dancing as a method for sexual selection. Where we come from, that tends not to be the case, though times are a changing :)

 
At 3:36 AM, Blogger rai.karan said...

i can't dance. i thin this may be a problem

 
At 4:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like U2 + Product(RED) better....Bono, Bobby Shriver anyone?

VA

 
At 11:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clearly, you're not a scientist. If the ability to dance is an indicator of genetic health, then dancing isn't good for you; it's an indicator of whether or not you're good.

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger rhea said...

sim: yes, le bateau -- it's such a cute place!!

surya: times are definitely a changing!

k: not sure what to say. you seem to do just fine, tho..

VA: i worship bono.

anon: and clearly you're not a writer. "good for me" doesn't necessarily imply health.

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Scatterbrained said...

Rumour has it that, U2 is visiting B'lore this November. For once I wish the rumour is true..:-). If there is anyone who can validate this information with concrete facts, I will do anything that person wishes for in my capacity..

Vinayakan aka VA

 

Post a Comment

<< Home