Sunday, February 11, 2007

Factory Girl

I didn't realize Andy Warhol was such an asshole.

Also didn't realize quite how pretty Sienna Miller is until this movie . I think she's better brunette than blond. But I think she was particularly striking because she actually looked like Edie Sedgwick. And, more than that, she did a pretty damn good job being Edie in this film.

The movie itself was both good and weak. I thought the plot line was a little wishy-washy. (Then again, if you viewed it as a pseudo-documentary on Edie Sedgwick's life, maybe it would seem less so.) And there was no real point except to highlight the miserable downward spiral the "poor little rich girl" fell into thanks to Warhol. (Though perhaps the real story of her demise lay in her incestuous relationship with her abusive father, "Fuzzy," but this is glossed over in the film for the most part).

On the other hand, there was some interesting camera work and both Sienna Miller and Guy Pearce gave strong performances as Edie and Warhol respectively. Hayden Christensen as a young Bob Dylan was pretty yummy, too (I've been a faithful fan of his since he was Anakin Skywalker; he singlehandedly made me a Star Wars fan! I know, I know, that's sacriligeously superficial to any true fan..).

In the end it was an inevitably tragic story that stirred something within. I think it could have been a lot more heart-wrenching with a little more depth. Still, it was a movie that placed art at a higher priority than depth. So, it was what it was. I guess it did for me what Requiem for a Dream did -- but on a smaller scale.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home