Thursday, February 08, 2007

Pre-Valentines grumble

So, I was trying to be gracious this year and not rant about how much I dislike the global Valentines Day mania that not-so-discreetly sets in by the first week of February. Talk about overkill -- aside from Christmas, no other "day" produces close to as much media frenzy. Anyway, in my quest to be neutral (and silent) about the whole thing, I was dutifully changing channels when ads and promos aimed at V-Day came on TV, walking past Hallmark as quickly as possible, ignoring billboards and shop windows sporting absurd red and pink heart-shaped cut-outs...

But, of course, there's a conspiracy to throw me off my path. And I refuse to shut up when Valentines Day is practically shoved through my front door. Or at least stuffed into my mailbox. Yesterday, I went to get my mail, as usual. And there, staring up at me, is this week's Time Out New York (TONY) with this headline splashed across the front: Why You're Single (and what you can do about it).

Seriously now, enough is enough. I'm not one of those bitter, single cat ladies. I actually like my freedom and independence (not that I have anything against relationships; it's just got to be the right time-right person-right place -- you know, the trifecta).

But still. Insulting cover story. Who sat around and thought, well, how can we make the cloying sweetness of V-Day worse? Ooh, here, let's tell single people why they're not fit for love. Now, the story doesn't really personally hit any nerves for me. But I can see how it could for some people. Among other possible reasons, there's the idea that you might not be in a relationship because you're overweight. Isn't that sweet? Happy Valentines Day -- easy on the chocolate!

So, blame this year's rant on TONY. If it wasn't for them, I'd have got through the year okay.

But, don't get me wrong, I love love. I think it's an amazing thing. I was talking to a friend soon after my run-in with the article and he was telling me about his current relationship. And it was lovely. I have nothing against celebrating Valentines Day per se (though I really don't understand why there has to be a "day" for love; wouldn't it be so much more spontaneous and special if the celebration came for no particular reason on any old day?). I just don't like how over the top it's gotten. Me, I still have a soft spot for those hand-made cards from my 6th grade boyfriend.

2 Comments:

At 6:02 PM, Blogger hemangini said...

awwwww

long live eshasu. unless it was D?

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger rhea said...

well, technically D was 6th grade, but when i wrote about handmade cards, i was definitely thinking of the artist-turned-photographer. so yes, Y (7th thru 9th, i think)..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home